Domestic Household Moving using Air Cargo ?
When people think about “moving” they usually imagine lugging boxes in and out of a moving van, or hiring a team of people to perform tasks related to such an operation. Rarely do people think about delivering their goods to a major airline and shipping them in their cargo hold, but currently this is becoming a more popular and common method of household Goods moving.
Fuel costs, increases in labor fees and the need to get items to their new location quickly have brought a great deal of attention to air cargo as an affective and efficient method of transporting household goods and possessions.
Find and compare moving companies
Of course, this is still a costly method of moving things, but in the right circumstances it could be the best choice. While many people moving overseas have used air cargo to carry their most essential goods, domestically it hasn’t caught on as an acceptable choice, but people with smaller households, fewer possessions and those wanting to explore all their options have begun to employ this method more often. In fact, moving industry experts estimate that large numbers of those moving or relocating will use air delivery for at least some portion of their household goods due to the shortened delivery times available through the air transportation systems.
Many major airlines welcome both passengers and others who would like to use the speed of their planes and jets to get their goods to their new locations faster. Some people bring their cargo along with them when they begin their air journey to their new home or city while others deliver boxes and goods to specially designated cargo areas.
There are special requirements for using such services however,
and they include:
• Detailed descriptions of the exact contents of each box
• Payment based on weight and box dimensions
• Limits on breakable or fragile items, and nothing considered perishable or hazardous
• No fluids of any kind, including bottles of perfume or alcohol
• Accurate address and contact information on each box in a shipment
• Airline specific “seals” that are placed on a box at the time of delivery to the airline which are used to ensure that boxes are not opened during transit, except by specially designated inspectors
• Absolute honesty, since inspectors can open boxes at any time for any reason, and if regulations have been ignored or rules broken, an entire shipment may be set aside for further scrutiny
Many people may choose simply to ship such items as important or critical documents, a majority of their wardrobe, and goods that are “essential” to daily life while they await the moving truck or van to deliver the rest of their goods to their new home. This is particularly true of those relocating for business, or families in the armed services. Both groups will often be placed into temporary housing, or furnished rental units during the period in which their entire collection of household goods are transported to the new home, and this is the reason for air shipment of some basic possessions.
It really pays off to explore air cargo as a part of any relocation
process, but just like hiring a traditional moving company,
it is a wise choice to seek out several quotes before selecting
the air carrier.